Savvy Searching with PubMed
Searching PubMed can feel like a daunting task at times. How do you make sure you’re not missing relevant articles when there is so much information? Having a strategic process to carry out your search and using subject headings will make the most of your time searching, increase the relevancy of your results and allow you to run your search at a later date when you need to update your references.
- Explains the value of structured searching
- Illustrates using MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) to increase the relevancy of results
- Illustrates searching with field codes to capture new items that have yet to be indexed
- Describes effective use of AND, OR, NOT (Boolean operators) to increase and decrease results
- Highlights filters to help narrow the focus of your search based on subject or publication type
- Outlines how to save PubMed searches to view results at a later date
- Provides hands-on experience searching, collecting and accessing articles in PubMed
- Identify key concepts relevant to your search question
- Translate key concepts to appropriate subject headings (MeSH)
- Run searches using field codes
- Combine searches with OR to increase results, AND to decrease results
- Apply filters to narrow results
- Manipulate result presentation to view abstract and full-text options
- Collect relevant articles and access NSHA full-text
- Create a My NCBI account to save searches
Recommended for: Staff, physicians and/or researchers incorporating PubMed results into knowledge resources including reports, policies, guidelines, research and more.
Please note: This session may be adjusted to facilitate learning about a variety of biomedical and healthcare databases including CINAHL and Embase. Connect with your librarian to learn more.
Related LibGuide: Searching by Katie McLean
- Tuesday, December 12, 2017
- 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Dickson Building, VG Site (QEII), Room 5133
*** BEFORE YOU REGISTER ***
For detailed instruction on how to get to the Dickson Building, please see the following document: Library Learning Opportunities: Locations.