COVID-19 and Real-time Data Visualization in Nova Scotia Online
Part 1: Statistics Canada is producing innovative, responsive data products to help us better understand the pandemic and its impact. Starting with a look at Stat Canada’s COVID-19: A Data Perspective, Julie and Louise will discuss the role of crowdsourcing and administrative data in data collection, and consider, among other things, the effect of COVID on our mental health, our working lives, and our mortality.
Part 2: The Nova Scotia government has been releasing COVID data on a daily basis, but does not provide a way for looking at past data in an interactive way. Jen has generated a data dashboard, which displays our Nova Scotia COVID data using six different visualizations (counts by health region, by gender, by age, and three variations of positive test results) plus two data counts (hospitalizations and deaths). Jen will describe how she combined data obtained from Nova Scotia Health, Nova Scotia Open Data, and Statistics Canada. It is updated on a daily basis and available online.
- Understand the innovation used to generate real time data
- Identify the sources used to create aggregate data and visualizations
- Learn how a data dashboard is created
- Tuesday, November 24, 2020
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Atlantic Time (change)
- All Zones
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
This online session uses Zoom video conferencing. To participate in the session, please note the following:
- You do not need to install extra software to join a Zoom meeting.
- To join the session, click on the Zoom meeting link and then “join from your browser”. You may be prompted to enter the meeting passcode (sent via registration confirmation email).
- You must have an audio output device (headphones or speakers) connected to be able to hear the instructor.
- You must have an audio input device (webcam or microphone) connected if you wish to participate verbally. If you do not wish to speak, you may type in the chat window.
To learn more about joining a Zoom meeting, see https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362193-Joining-a-meeting