MedlinePlus®: Trusted Consumer Health Information Online
Providing patients and their families with trusted consumer health information is important. Many sources we find online are not credible, nor is the information they are providing. Join us for this session to explore MedlinePlus® and all of its features, including best methods for navigation and successful searching. You will also take away handy tips for evaluating health information found online.
By the end of this 30-minute session, you will be able to:
- Navigate and search the database using the category tabs
- Search using keywords in the MedlinePlus® search bar
- Locate up-to-date, trusted COVID-19 information
- Learn to evaluate online health information sources
Recommended for: All health professionals seeking a trusted consumer health database for personal use and/or to recommend to patients and families.
Related LibGuide: Searching by Roxanne MacMillan
- Thursday, June 10, 2021
- 10:00am - 10:30am
- Time Zone:
- Atlantic Time (change)
- All Zones
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
*** BEFORE YOU REGISTER ***
To participate in an online session, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You must have access to a computer with Skype for Business installed. If you do not have the software, you will be required to install a web app plugin that will allow you to attend as a guest
- You must have an audio output device connected (headphones or speakers) to be able to hear the instructor
- You must have an audio input device (webcam or microphone) connected whether you wish to participate verbally or not. If you do not wish to speak, you may type in the chat window
- Experience using chat
- Experience copying/pasting text and URLs
If you do not meet the above requirements, please consider requesting a one-on-one consult.
Prior to the start of an online session, test your sound settings to ensure you are ready. See Testing Skype Sound Settings* for step-by-step instructions.
To learn more about Skype for Business, see https://intra.nshealth.ca/UCS/BPS/SitePages/SkypeforBusiness.aspx*
*Internal link, you must be on the Nova Scotia Health network and use Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge to access