Developing Effective Research Questions Online
Research in evidence-based medicine begins with a well-constructed, searchable question. When searching, the way you describe your information need will impact the relevancy of the information you find. Take control over your search results by clearly articulating what you want to find. In this session we will explore the process of breaking down complex research questions into key concepts using established tools (e.g. PICO, search grid).
By the end of this 30-minute session, you will be able to:
- Use the PICO framework to formulate a clinical question
- Understand the difference between background and foreground questions
- Break down your clinical question into key search concepts
- Organize search concepts using a search grid
- Select resources to search based on your question
Recommended for: Staff, physicians and/or researchers looking to increase their information seeking skills. This session is valuable to staff engaged in the creation of knowledge resources (e.g. guidelines, policies, pamphlets, original research).
Related LibGuide: Searching by Roxanne MacMillan
- Thursday, June 17, 2021
- 10:00am - 10:30am
- Time Zone:
- Atlantic Time (change)
- All Zones
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
*** BEFORE YOU REGISTER ***
To participate in an online session, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You must have access to a computer with Skype for Business installed. If you do not have the software, you will be required to install a web app plugin that will allow you to attend as a guest
- You must have an audio output device connected (headphones or speakers) to be able to hear the instructor
- You must have an audio input device (webcam or microphone) connected whether you wish to participate verbally or not. If you do not wish to speak, you may type in the chat window
- Experience using chat
- Experience copying/pasting text and URLs
If you do not meet the above requirements, please consider requesting a one-on-one consult.
Prior to the start of an online session, test your sound settings to ensure you are ready. See Testing Skype Sound Settings* for step-by-step instructions.
To learn more about Skype for Business, see https://intra.nshealth.ca/UCS/BPS/SitePages/SkypeforBusiness.aspx*
*Internal link, you must be on the Nova Scotia Health network and use Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge to access