Obtaining Copyright Permissions – Why, When and How Online
Getting permission to use a copyright protected resource can seem overwhelming. This session will cover why and when getting permission is necessary, and how to approach copyright owners. We’ll also introduce our Copyright Permissions tool, where you can ask Library Services to request permission on your behalf or log permissions that you request on your own.
By the end of this 45-minute session, you will be able to:
- Understand why and when you need permission to reuse copyright protected resources
- Identify when you can use resources without asking permission (Public Doman, Creative Commons licences)
- Write a permissions request letter / email
- Use Library Services’ Copyright Permissions tool
Recommended for: Nova Scotia Health staff looking to get more familiar with copyright permissions
Related LibGuide: Copyright by Roxanne MacMillan
- Tuesday, December 6, 2022
- 10:00am - 10:45am
- Time Zone:
- Atlantic Time (change)
- All Zones
- This is an online event. Event URL will be sent via registration email.
*** BEFORE YOU REGISTER ***
This session will use Microsoft Teams. You can join the meeting on your computer or mobile app using the URL you will receive in the Confirmation and Reminder emails.
You can join a Teams meeting whether or not you have a Teams account. If you don't have an account, follow these steps to join as a 'Guest':
- Paste the Teams meeting link into an MS Edge or Google Chrome browser address bar
- On the web page that opens, select Continue on this browser
- Enter your name and choose your audio/video settings
- Click Join now
For more information on joining as a 'Guest', please go to: Joining a Teams Meeting without a Teams account*
To participate in an online session, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You must have an audio output device connected (headphones or speakers) to hear the instructor
- If you do not have an audio input device (webcam or microphone), you may type in the chat window
- Experience using chat
- Experience copying/pasting text and URLs
If you do not meet the above requirements, please consider requesting a one-on-one consult.
For information on joining a Teams Meeting, please check out: https://intra.nshealth.ca/UCS/BPS/SitePages/Teams.aspx*. The video, Join a Teams Meeting, found on this page provides useful information if you have not used Microsoft Teams before.
*Internal link, you must be on the Nova Scotia Health network and use Microsoft Edge to access