Finding Medical Images for Presentations and Publications Online
Frustrated by paying an arm and a leg for pictures of arms and legs? Whether you are working on a patient education pamphlet, staff training materials, or a clinical subject guide, finding high quality medical images that are free of charge and copyright compliant can be challenging. This session will introduce you to reputable sources for medical images. You’ll learn to interpret how images are licensed, and how and when to ask permission to reuse.
By the end of this 45-minute session, you will be able to :
- Know how copyright relates to images.
- Search for medical images in online resources and subscription databases.
- Understand how images are licensed and when permission or payment is required to use them in your work.
- Provide attribution for Creative Commons licensed images.
Recommended for: Nova Scotia Health staff who need access to medical images for publications or staff and patient education.
Related LibGuide: Copyright by Roxanne MacMillan
*** BEFORE YOU REGISTER ***
You can join the Teams meeting on your computer or mobile app using the URL you will receive in the Confirmation and Reminder emails.
You can join a Teams meeting whether or not you have a Teams account. If you don't have an account, follow these steps to join as a 'Guest':
- Paste the Teams meeting link into an MS Edge or Google Chrome browser address bar
- On the web page that opens, select Continue on this browser
- Enter your name and choose your audio/video settings
- Click Join now
For more information on joining as a 'Guest', please go to: Joining a Teams Meeting without a Teams account*
To participate in an online session, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- You must have an audio output device connected (headphones or speakers) to be able to hear the instructor
- If you do not have an audio input device (webcam or microphone), you may type in the chat window
- Experience using chat
- Experience copying/pasting text and URLs
If you do not meet the above requirements, please consider requesting a one-on-one consult.
For information on joining a Teams Meeting, please check out: https://intra.nshealth.ca/UCS/BPS/SitePages/Teams.aspx*. The video, Join a Teams Meeting, found on this page provides useful information if you have not used Microsoft Teams before.
*Internal link, you must be on the Nova Scotia Health network and use Microsoft Edge to access