Critical Appraisal: Evaluating Information Sources Online
Now more than ever, the ability to examine information sources carefully and systematically is important.
How do we assess the data in published research and online to gage its value, relevance and trustworthiness? Join me for this session to explore what critical appraisal is and why it is important. We will cover critical appraisal tools that can be incorporated into your research process, to help appraise information sources systematically and effectively.
- Understand what critical appraisal is
- Identify how critical appraisal can be incorporated into your research process
- Select the appropriate evaluation tool based on the information source
Recommended for: All Nova Scotia staff, physicians and/or researchers looking for an introduction or needing a refresher on evaluating information sources.
Related LibGuide: Searching by Laura Mounce
*** BEFORE YOU REGISTER ***
To participate in an online session, you will need:
- An audio output device connected (headphones or speakers) to be able to hear the instructor
- If you do not have an audio input device (webcam or microphone), you may type in the chat window
- Experience using chat
- Experience copying/pasting text and URLs
If you do not meet the above requirements, please consider requesting a one-on-one consult.
To make the session more accessible, check out the following videos that include instruction on how to enable live captions and use PowerPoint Live features such as magnification and high contrast colours:
- How to make meetings more accessible and inclusive with Microsoft Teams [YouTube]
- Make presentations more accessible with PowerPoint Live in Microsoft Teams [YouTube]
You can join the Teams meeting on your computer or mobile app using the URL you will receive in the Confirmation and Reminder emails.
You can join a Teams meeting whether or not you have a Teams account. If you don't have an account, follow these steps to join as a 'Guest':
- Paste the Teams meeting link into a Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser address bar
- On the web page that opens, select Continue on this browser
- Enter your name and choose your audio/video settings
- Click Join now
For more information on joining as a 'Guest', please go to: Joining a Teams Meeting without a Teams account*
For more information on Teams Meetings, please check out: https://intra.nshealth.ca/UCS/BPS/SitePages/Teams.aspx*. The Join a Teams Meeting video on this page provides useful information for new Microsoft Teams users.
*Internal link, you must be on the Nova Scotia Health network and use Microsoft Edge to access